RESOLUTIONS: MOVING FROM “I SHOULD DO THIS” TO “I GET TO DO THIS”

  • Monday, December 28, 2009

  • I find resolutions a review of my personal failings. As we approach January 1, I am rehearsing the familiar tune of getting in better shape, making better use of my time, getting certain projects done, more prayer, more time with family, better steward, clean up certain character flaws, and on and on..

    The problem with these resolutions are they are things that I feel like I have to do rather than things I get to do. Some of them I did not have a problem with years ago because I saw them as I get to do things. Take for example getting in better physical shape. I never did anything that cost money such as health clubs. I simply took the time to run, do some resistance exercises (sit-ups, push-ups) and kept somewhat of a healthy diet. But somewhere along the line, these activities turned difficult when I saw them as I should be doing this rather than I want to do this.

    There are activities that I consider “I get to” that were once “I ought to” such as daily Bible reading and quiet time. Getting up in the morning is not that hard for me for my quiet time is something I look forward to. This motivates me to even get up very early when I have morning appointments or to not move my alarm when I get to bed late.

    My resolution this year is to move some of the things that I should do to the more positive side that I get to. This motivates me to do these activities because I choose to do them and not because I should do them.

    What is on your list that you see as “I have to do this” and how can you change it to “I want to do this?”

    1 comments:

    PegS said...

    George, I love this! Thank you for giving a so much better perspective on the "To Do" list. For me the chores I "must" do (it will be awhile before they can be "get tos") pull me away from the "get tos". Like Bible reading and my fav, prayer!! Yet, I do find that if I "get to" prayer first, everything else will fall into place. I'm not into resolutions, but I might make one to "get to" look more positively at my day! Thanks. And a blessed New Year to you and Deb.

    Post a Comment