Parents & Kids of Faith

  • Thursday, December 15, 2011





  • The Gospel Alphabet by Timothy Keller

    G is for Grace
    We need to continually learn and teach the Gospel because Gospel-centricity assures and propels us toward grace-centricity. When we swerve from the Gospel we lapse into either antinomianism (the moral law is of no use) or legalism (the moral law is necessary for salvation). Neither can offer the true beauty or savor of Christ. To be in the presence of individuals or congregations who are not grace-centered is enervating and exasperating. Let us then learn and relearn the glorious Gospel that we may ever stand fast in the true grace of God (1 Peter 5:12) and may indeed “grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forevermore. Amen” (2 Peter 3:18).


    WATCH OUT FOR THIS OLD LADY!
    (Maybe this really happened)

    This past week I thought I would get a jump on my Christmas shopping and headed to one of the large department stores in town. As I was walking through the store and picking up a few items to get the grandboys, I noticed an old lady following me around. Thinking nothing of it, I ignored her and continued on.

    Finally I went to the checkout line, but she got in front of me. "Pardon me," she said, "I'm sorry if my staring at you has made you feel uncomfortable. It's just that you look just like my son, who just died recently."

    "I'm very sorry," I replied "is there anything I can do for you?"

    "Yes," she said, "As I'm leaving, can you say 'Good bye, Mother'? It would make me feel so much better."

    "Sure," I answered.

    As the old woman was leaving, I called out, "Goodbye, Mother!"

    Then, as I stepped up to the checkout counter, I saw that my total was $227.50.

    "How can that be?" I asked, "I only purchased a few things!"

    "Your mother said that you would pay for her," said the clerk.


    CHILDREN'S CHURCH OR THE FAMILY TOGETHER FOR WORSHIP?
    As was announced this past week, starting January 8 we will be offering The Praise Factory as a children’s church program for children in Kindergarten through second grade during the 10:15-11:30 worship service time. I want to explain what this means to families of Faith Bible Church.

    First of all, we are still affirming the following statement from our booklet, “The Family of Faith: Faith’s Commitment to the Family.” It states, “Parents are to teach and model God’s truth to their children. The Bible clearly teaches that the primary responsibility for teaching and modeling God’s truth to children is the responsibility of parents.”

    How parents choose to best fulfill this task does vary from family to family and even child to child. We at Faith Bible Church want to be able to offer to parents various ways to support the spiritual nurturing of their children without compromising what we see as the biblical mandate to the parents. We also want to provide support to the children of parents who may not be Christians or may be attending without their parents.

    In light of this, there are parents who feel that the church can help serve their family by supplementing the daily nurturing of their children with special Sunday classes that provide spiritual truths and the gospel that are appropriate to the state of cognitive development of their child rather than the worship service which is pointed to an adult audience.

    On the same note there are parents who feel it best for the spiritual nurturing of their children that they participate in the corporate worship service even at an early age. For these families, their children have been and will continue to be welcomed in the service.

    The summary of this is that the incorporating of children’s church is an offering to families and not a mandate. There will be provision for families now from birth through second grade during the 10:15 worship service or you may have your children join you during that same time.

    Also, in order to provide these ministries during the 10:15 service hour, we still need many more volunteers in all the age groups (nursery through 2nd grade). All the ministries are set up so they are on a rotation basis so you do not need to stay out of the worship service for long periods. If you can help us, contact Pastor George at george.lockyer@faithbiblelincoln.org.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment