Pilgrim: A Musical Production of John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress

  • Thursday, May 6, 2010
  • I want to share with you a production that appears to be a "must-have" to your home video collection. I know there will be a copy at the Lockyer house for grandkids time with Grandpa and then lots of discussion. Here is a review of the production by Tony Reinke and a short promotional video.

    I doubt any product has more potential for introducing the themes of Bunyan's classic to a new generation of Christians quite like the new DVD of the musical simply titled Pilgrim. The Pilgrim DVD is a recording of a performance at Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, MD. The high school students from the church performed all the acting and their work is exceptional.

    But the real brilliance of Pilgrim is the theology of the script. One of my favorite scenes is between Goodwill, played by an energetic Irish woman, and Christian. Christian has not yet been to the cross. Watch how the theology unfolds:

    Christian: I'm a mess. I need get myself cleaned up before I get there [to the cross].

    Goodwill: You can't. Oh, lots of pilgrims put off going to the cross so they can clean themselves up first, but you can't do that on your own. The King is the only one who can make you clean. He loves you, despite your dirt.

    Christian: I guess it's good to know He loves me ...(shrugs) ... makes me feel better about myself.

    Goodwill: Oh, laddie! He doesn't love ye to make you feel better about yerself. He loves ye because that's WHO HE IS. He died for ye to purchase ye back from the Prince of Destruction. He plans ta do a work in ye, Pilgrim, ta conform ye to His lovin' image. And He wants to make sure ye git home safely.

    Christian: Home?! NO! I want to go to the Celestial City.

    Goodwill: Once you git to the cross, the Celestial City becomes yer new home.

    Christian
    : Oh, right. That's why I'm here. That's why I made my decision.

    Goodwill
    : Your decision.

    Christian
    : Yeah, you know, to come down this road. I'm glad I'm finally doing it.

    Goodwill: (chuckling) Ah, lad, ye think yer desire to walk this road began with you? No, Laddie. It began with the King. He put that desire in ye. He started it! On yer own, ye wouldn't have come this way. And I'll tell ye somethin' more. It's a blessed promise from that book [the Bible]. Since this wasn't your idea but His, the same One who started His good work in ye will carry it through. Right to the finish.

    The Pilgrim DVD is just under two hours in length and currently sells online for $18.00. I make no hesitation in saying this is a must-have addition to your family library. We recently enjoyed the presentation for our family movie night, and we used the theology of the film as a means of further discussion on the various spiritual themes. The allegory is brought forth in striking imagery and acting and singing. And while it is a serious and sobering production--how could an allegory about the Christian life not be serious and sobering?--there is some delightful humor at times, too.

    Taken together I would say Pilgrim is an epic achievement in the long Bunyan legacy.

    You can purchase Pilgrim at http://www.sovereigngracestore.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=O9250-00-41. And here's brief trailer for the DVD:

    4 comments:

    PegS said...

    Pastor George, thank you for the recommendation. This looks awesome! Couldn't you just see it at Pinewood Bowl adv. as an evangelistic tool???? Too bad that is way past my ability/gifting to accomplish. I can't wait to see the entire dvd. Maybe a Youth movie night.

    Pastor George said...

    The entire production package can be purchased from Christian Theatre Arts at http://www.christiantheatre.org/Blog/Pilgrim/

    It would be an awesome production to put on locally.

    PegS said...

    I got my DVD and it is fantastic. Kudos to whoever came up with the script and the music. Thanks!

    Pastor George said...

    It was put together by the people at Covenant Life Church and Sovereign Grace Ministries in Maryland and the DVD is the high school drama team from the high school. Very gifted group all around.

    Post a Comment