CHAPTER 5 – WHEN MERCY TRIUMPHS OVER JUDGMENT

  • Saturday, March 22, 2008

  • The first time I read this chapter, I felt like my breath was taken away and though I may not often show emotion, I confess tears did come. Luke 6:27-36 jumped off the page and sent me into a tailspin. Mercy- “God’s mercy means His kindness, patience, and forgiveness toward us. In His compassionate willingness to suffer for and with sinners for their ultimate good.”

    My book dropped from my hands unto the table when on page 81 it states, “Have you thought that passing along God’s mercy may be one of the reasons you’re married?” My response was “no!” Being unmerciful to Deb keeps me in a position of one-up on her. It helps me to be the “head” of the household and feeds my self-centeredness and pride. Luke 6 ruined my life.

    Please do not read this chapter fast. Read it again if you have to for we have come to the understanding of the impact of my sin and my wife’s sin in the marriage – but mercy is the beginning of the solution and will make the rest of the book make sense.

    Dave Harvey states, “Mercy is never strained because it is able to cover all it touches. It sweetens all it touches because it comes from heaven – from the very throne of the merciful Savior. Mercy is a blessing to those who receive and those who give.”

    1. What have you learned about mercy from this chapter?


    2. Is there a time when you experienced mercy from someone? What effect did it have on you?


    3. Read Luke 6:27-36 again and then determine if there is a situation that you have faced or are facing that you are finding mercy difficult to give.


    4. What are some ways that you can be expressing kindness in your marriage and home where you have not done so?


    5. What questions on pages 91-92 did you find most helpful to ask yourself when you feel wronged?


    6. Though Gordon and Emma’s story seems a bit extraordinary – there are similar types of stories at Faith Bible Church. What does their story say to you about your marriage?

    There is not a video that goes with this chapter but you can download Dave Harvey preaching on the topic of mercy for no cost at:
    http://www.sovereigngracestore.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=A1360-01-51

    Also "When Sinners Say I Do" is available in audio book with Dave Harvey narrating.
    You can get if from http://www.sovereigngracestore.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=B3225-00-21
    Or from other major book purchasing companies such as Amazon.

    1 comments:

    Tracy Smith said...

    I have to admit, those words jumped out at me too! This book has been such a blessing and such an eye opener. Thank you so much for introducing us to it George!

    Post a Comment