GROWING IN GRACE AS A HUSBAND

  • Wednesday, February 27, 2008
  • My wife is ill. Deb is so sick that she has not been able to do any of her normal duties around the farmstead. When she cannot get up to feed the horses, then things are really bad. Even when Deb has had knee surgery, she got up and dragged herself to the barn.

    Now for me, this has been one of those sanctifying moments in my life. God is speaking – no He yelled at me and I am working out my salvation with fear and trembling through this time of Deb’s illness.

    First it has been an opportunity to serve Deb. Now to serve her when I have no time issues is not that hard. I have applied many disciplines to love her like Christ loves the church, when it is my time and not inconvenient. However when Deb is sick, we have about 30 minutes of chores to do in the morning and another 30 minutes in the evening. Now she could have done at least the morning ones so I am not running around in the dark at 6:00 A.M. She is not paralyzed and she would have all day to recover, at least till supper where she could muster enough energy to have a good meal ready. No, Deb is sick like I have never seen her before and God taught me to serve her and to do it with gladness knowing as I serve her, I am glorifying God.

    Secondly, Deb has shown what a wimp I am. She is really sick and I cannot remember a time in our 35 years together that she has been down as long as this except after surgery. I can remember many times that I have been “bed-ridden” over a clogged sinus, bad cough, or just a bad cold. If you would like a picture of what I can be like, check out this: http://glumbert.com/wii/view.php?name=mancold

    Deb is sick and I am growing in humility.

    2 comments:

    Patti Lacey said...

    Oh George!
    That video is soooo.. true! Stu's such a wimp when he has a cold! I laughed so hard. Thanks for sharing. We are enjoying the book!

    Brita said...

    I have 3 "man/boy colds" at my house. "POOR POOR BUNNIES!!"

    Don't know if I want to keep reading the book about being a sinner.

    your favorite daughter

    Post a Comment