GIVING CONSIDERATION TO MY WAYS - Part 1

  • Wednesday, January 30, 2008
  • In one of the previous posts, I presented 31 questions to think through from Don Whitney. Deb and I this morning talked about question 8 and Saturday will get to question 9. The conversations have been sweet and at times heavy to the potential impact. I am not going to share answers to all the questions for we live in enough of a glass house and some of the answers fall into special intimacy between us, but here are a few thoughts from my side.



    Question 1 - what one thing I could do this year to increase my enjoyment of God? For myself, the spiritual disciplines are essential but in the midst of these, to increase my understanding of contemplation and communion with God through meditation and prayer. In particular growing in my understanding of the gospel. The cross presents so many riches that seem to be endless in expression. I also want to help lead Deb in her enjoyment of God through my leadership and encouragement. We read through the Bible together using the M'Cheyne daily Bible reading plan and we finished last year reading the Old Testament once, the Psalms and New Testament twice. Two chapters each day were read privately and approximately two chapters each day were read publically. Now we did not do our public reading each day but would usually read 3-4 days together where I would read aloud one chapter and then Deb would read aloud one chapter until we caught up. There were a few times we had marathon sessions that might have resembled Nehemiah 8:3, "and he read from it before the square which was in front of the Water Gate from early morning until midday..." That way we read the Word privately, spoke God's Word, and heard God's Word. We finished the year on schedule. We are doing it again this year switching what we read privately last year to the public reading and vice-versa.



    So what are you doing this year to increase your enjoyment of God? What are you doing to increase your spouse's enjoyment? How about those kids? May we all grow in our delight of God.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment